The following estate management list was created to assist you in managing the affairs of a deceased individual. It is imperative that you start working through this list as soon as possible as some of the procedures you will request will take time for the various organisations contacted to process.
In addition, asking for early help from reputable professionals will also prove useful and ease the burden of losing someone dear to you.
Note: This information and related contacts are indicative only and subject to change without prior notice.
- Ensure you have a copy of the deceased’s will and contact a notary to start a will search
- Order the official death certificate from le Directeur de L’État Civil
- Cancel government benefits such as federal and provincial pensions
- Quebec Pension
- Federal Old Age Security
- Other benefits that may be applicable, such as: Veterans, Union benefits, Foreign pensions, etc.
- Apply for government survivor’s or death benefits if applicable
- Gather all the deceased’s income tax information for easy reference when the time comes to prepare tax returns
- Publish the four articles on the Register of Personal and Movable Real Rights
- Cancel deceased’s utilities, subscriptions, and services such as:
- Cell phone and internet
- Subscriptions, associations, and club memberships
- Private and/or group medical insurance and medical alert devices
- Social media accounts
- Medicare card: cancelled upon registration of death
- Social insurance card: if not provided to the funeral home, it should be sent to the following address with a copy of death certificate:
Social Insurance Registration
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, NB E2A 4T1
- Driver’s license and registration: if not provided to the funeral home, the license should be cancelled. If applicable, the SAAQ will issue a refund by mail or at a counter. You will require:
- Deceased’s driver’s license or name, address, date of birth, and SIN
- Copy of death certificate
- Passport: a valid passport should be returned to Passport Canada for cancellation. Include a copy of the death certificate and a letter indicating whether the passport should be destroyed or returned to you:
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0G3
- Nexus: to cancel a Nexus card upon death contact:
Montreal Office – Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int’l Airport: 514-633-3203 or
- Mail: a liquidator may redirect mail through Canada Post. You will need to provide the death certificate and a copy of the will
- Publish the Legal Notice and Advice to Creditors
- Check for Unclaimed Balances of the deceased
- Local and foreign properties: manage, transfer, sell and ensure proper evaluations of contents are performed
- Cancel credit cards and check for credit card insurance
- Redirect preauthorized bank accounts and credit card payments to a different account
- Retrieve contents of safety deposit box
- Life insurance policies: gather details of any policies held at death and submit request for policy payments
If you have questions about any of the above or would like to discuss estate planning or the relevance and operation of a trust for your family, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Estates and Trusts professionals.