In the April 19, 2021 budget, the Federal government announced it will finally move forward with the 1% tax applicable on under-used properties owned by non-residents of Canada, starting in 2022.
The goal of all our tax planning services is to minimize the tax burden and reduce financial risk to owners of short-term rental properties. We accomplish this by going above and beyond what a technician could accomplish – each client’s unique financial picture, needs and history is taken into account and used to develop their personalized tax strategy.
Government Reporting and Filings
It is no secret that navigating through two levels of governments – especially for a foreigner – can be tricky. Our team can help with all types of government reporting related to rental properties owned by Canadian residents, and non-residents alike.
- Income Tax Return preparation and filing under Section 216 for non-residents
- Social Insurance Number request filing with tax authorities for tax filing purposes
- Tax and planning advisory services (corporate and personal)
- Compliance Certificate requests filing with tax authorities at the time of a property sale
- Vacation rental GST / QST returns
Rental Properties Management
Out-of-town owners can count on the following administrative and management services:
- Canadian banking, rentals and expenses management, projections
- Monthly, quarterly or annual summaries of a property’s finances.
REFERRALS AND TRAINING FOR PROFESSIONALS
Real Estate Brokers
A member of our team is accredited by the OAICQ for training, leading to CPE credits. Add value to your transactions by educating yourself and your clients on tax and other implications BEFORE concluding the transaction. We have worked with all the major real estate broker banners in Québec/Canada.
We currently work in close collaboration with more than 50 notaries who put their trust – and their client affairs – in our hands.
OUR EXPERIENCE WITH A VARIETY OF PROPERTIES
For over 30 years, we have accompanied clients, real estate brokers and notaries with:
- Residential rental properties
- Vacation rental properties
- Second personal home resale
“Any Client is in Good Hands”
We have been working with Madame Côté for many years and she is our number one reference for all tax-related matters. Between her expertise and her unequaled efficiency, any client is in good hands with her!
Michèle & Élodie Bouchard, Sutton Realtors Old-Montreal
“An Expert in Her Field”
As a notary, I can say without a doubt, that Julie Côté’s team is extremely competent and diligent in her work, and that she is an expert in her field. They make dealing with the government, which can often be an arduous process, much easier.
William Malkinson, Notary
“Expert advice and Able Guidance”
It’s not just that FL Fuller Landau provides expert advice and able guidance around very complicated rules and regulations. What I really appreciate is the firm’s human touch — the patience, thoughtfulness, and sensitivity they bring to every interaction. As a client for nearly 15 years, I trust them and value their counsel.
Michael Kaminer, New York and Toronto
MEET THE TEAM LEADERS
- OAICQ Buyer’s Guide
- OAICQ Seller’s Guide
- OAICQ Check a broker’s record
- Chambre des notaires du Québec – Real Estate Section
- Information about the income tax rules that apply to non-residents of Canada
- Procedures concerning the disposition of taxable Canadian property by non‑residents of Canada – Section 116
- Non-resident ownership transaction – what you don’t know might hurt your wallet – an article from La Presse